Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tip of the tongue

Alright, I'm entitled to one blog rant every once in a while, so today is my day.
I have pent up incredible amounts of frustration for myself lately. Writer's Digest (my favorite writing resource website) is holding their annual Popular Fiction short story competition and I can't for the life of me spit anything out!! The deadline is not until November, but I'm a first minute kind of gal!
For months I've felt as though I have the perfect story idea on the tip of my tongue, but as soon as I bust out that laptop, or pen and paper...I got nothin! I'm hiding my own creative writing from myself, I just know it's back there under lock and key in my imaginative mind. I feel like I'm the fool chasing a piece of paper in the wind, and when I bend down to pick it up, even foolish even to shout "Got Cha!", it's gone again!
Maybe I need to go for a drive...or a walk. Renting a cabin in the woods would be ideal but that's not an option. It's tough to capture that perfect idea in a jar and pop the lid on with Dora the Explorer blasting in your living room, a child coloring on the hardwood, a puppy tugging at your pant leg and laundry demanding to be washed...
I have determined that shouting profanities like a sailor will get you no where, neither will eating an entire pan of brownies!
What's a girl to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment